Posted by: Hopeless | 2009-03-09

Medication issues

I have esorive esophagitis grade 3 and a hertial hernia (hope I spelled it correctly). My doctor put me on Nexium but my medical aid does not want to pay for it. I went back to the doctor and he gave me another medication in place of the Nexium. Now the medical aid does not want to pay for it either. I sent them the Report from the surgeon but still they do not want to put me on chronic medication. I then sent them an email asking them what medication they want me to take but am still waiting. I don' t want to go back to doctor for another prescription and then they also say " no"  to that. My doctor was very unhappy about taking of the Nexium and said that after the prescription of the other medication he is not going to change it again. I am medically boarded so I cannot afford buying the medication out of my own pocket. What can I do?

Thank you for visiting

Unfortunately, your diagnosis compells you to use the Nexiam. You can report your medical aid at the Ombudsman and try and force them to subdue to your request. You can go to a state hospital and if they make the same diagnosis, they will provide you with the medication on a monthly basis with no charge.

Posted by: Keen | 2009-03-09

Well, I would phone the surgeon and explain the situation to him. There are generic brands of proton pump inhibitors (like Nexium) available and your surgeon may not decline you treatment just because he might favour one particular pill over another. This is a matter of getting your condition under control...not about what brand of pill to use.

Reply to Keen