Question
Posted by: Jane | 2008/10/15

medication for type II

My husband was recently diagnosed with type II diabetes after being obese for over a decade. He has managed a remarkable weight loss of 50lbs but still has 40 to go. He will meet his goal. His blood pressure has decreased to below normal but he is still on BP medication. Also his blood glucose levels are recovering &  are often tested well within normal levels. His Dr. has recommended he take meds if his progress stalls. My husband is taking Omeprazole, Enalapril, Atenolol &  now Metformin. I have tried to persuade him to talk to his Dr. regarding reduction of the levels and numbers of drugs he is taking and possibly wait to use the Metaformin, but he is resistant. Does my direction have any merit?

Dear Jane
It is difficult to decide if someone needs to take medications or not without a full medical history. Because your hubby is still 40 pounds overweight, he probably does still need the medications. However you mention that his bp is now normal, so this is one facet that he can discuss with his dr. It is a well known phenomenon that when obese patients lose significant amounts of weight their bp often returns to normal which would make taking antihypertensives unnecessary.
Please convey my warmest wishes to your hubby for his wonderful loss of 50 lb - he is a ***star***.