Question

Medication effects

Good day

Could you please tell me how long it takes for prednisone to start having an effect (3x5mg tabs twice a day) - i.e when should I start noticing a difference and how long after stopping it does the side effects like water retention wear off.

Lastly, in the doses described above, for 3 days, do you wean off or just stop?

Expert ImagePharmacist

Hi A

In general, short courses of prednisone do not require tapering of the dose (unless your doctor specifically instruct you to do so).
Prednisone is rapidly absorbed and peak effects can typically be observed after 1—2 hours. Most effects should disappear 8-16 hours after last dose, whilst the most of the drug should be eliminated from the body after 36 - 72 hours.

1
Posted by: pharmacist | 2012/03/15

Hi A

Reply to pharmacist