Question
Posted by: Purple | 2010/04/20

medication effects

We''re trying for baby number 2. While buying all my vitamins and folic acid, I asked the pharmacist if it was OK to continue taking Difluzole which I" m taking for a fungus on my toenail.

He said it was fine.

Earlier this week I decided to read the package insert before taking my weekly dosage (just in case) and discovered that it has been associated with foetal abnormalities.

My period is now 4 days late, though one pregnancy test was negative and one was faulty so didn''t work, but I suspect I might well be pregnant (having been through it before, it all feels a bit familiar with the tender breats, the increased urination, and the ligament stretching, though this is very slight compared to last time).

I have googled to try and find info but all I can find is what is here on H24 that says there is the potential for foetal abnormalities.
I can''t find anything on what point in pregnancy this risk exists, how big the risk is and what the potential abnormalities are.

Would you be able to assist me wiht information on this?

It sounds like you are not pregnant, so you probably should not worry too much. Most data on medications in pregnancy is not as specific as you want to know. There have been a few reported cases of abnormalities in women using Difluzole at differnt stages of pregnancy and for different time periods.One study looked at short term use in early pregnancy and found no increase in abnormalities.

1