Question
Posted by: Talia | 2012/03/05

medication badly hurt my bones

HI Expert

I was on high-dosage Roaccutane (100mg/day) and ended the course a month early due to crippling bone pain. This worsened when I went dancing on my bday - my knees completely blew up the next day and are still visibly swollen. This Sat, it will be a month since I stopped taking the drug but I am still hobbling when I walk. I understand the side effects of this drug (joint pain/inflammation and muscle aches are listed on the leaflet) are supposed to go away wen you stop taking it. Must I just wait longer, is it too soon to hope the drug is out of my system? The pain is at times debilitating - I have had to stop gym altogether and cannot do the JP Morgan Corporate Challenge as planned this weekend, even tho you are allowed to walk all the way. It was just the knees in pain but two days ago I suddenly developed painful hips and ankles. I last had bad hip pain as a child, when I was diagnosed with rheumatic fever. What shd I take, who shd I see, is there a special kind of doctor who could help? One who has an understanding of joint disorders which are not caused by physical strain i. e I dont think a physiotherapist can help me. What do I do? Thanks for your help

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Talia
This is a bit long for you to still be having side-effects from the roaccutaine. Maybe you can ask your GP to refer you to a rheumatologist if he cannot give you an answer. Either way- you need to be examined by a doctor for a proper diagnosis.

1
Posted by: Healthy Bones | 2012/03/06

Dear Talia

Reply to Healthy Bones