Question
Posted by: Mary | 2010/11/25

medication advice please

After my husband passed away my GP prescribed me Aropax 25mg. About a year and a half after that the GP lowered my dose to the 12.5mg and I''ve been taking the lower dose for a year. I am now in a relationship with a wonderful man, but the Aropax is intervering with our sex life. I am 32 and want to enjoy my relationship, but I don''t want to take the risk in leaving the anti-depressants just yet. If I go to my GP, what is an alternative anti-depessant he can prescribe that won''t have the same negative side effects sexually, but will work on more or less the same way as the Aropax as I don''t want to get the depression and anxiety feelings back again either.

Aropax is an antidepressant, which can be really effective in treating Depression ; it has not been shown in good research to be effective in helping grief and bereavement, which rather needs counselling.
It sounds as though you have recovered from your grief, and I doubt very much whether you need the Aropax still. There is probably not a risk in stopping this med now. And even though the dose is low, it can indeed still have the annoying side-effect you describe.
It is unlikely that your grief will recur, and if it did it would be better managed by counselling. And if you developed a Depression, another antidepresssant could be used, eqally or more effectuive in managing depression, and unlikely to have this side-effect in you. There are several ADs of the samebroad chemical family as Aropax. All cause this side effect in some people, none cause it in everyone.

1