Question
Posted by: JB | 2010/08/06

Medication advice needed

Hi CS. I am currently on the following medication: 1000mg Epilim, 15mg Zyprexa, 45mg Remeron, 300mg Wellbutrin, 20mg Urbanol a day. The problem is my medical aid does not pay the full amount of the medicine each month and I also think that I may be overdosed. I was thinking of reducing the Zyprexa to 10mg a day and only use the Remeron or the Wellbutrin, because I don''t see why I need 2 different anti-depressants a day. I also want to know why I am drinking the Zyprexa. Is it for psychosis or schizophrenia or what???

wow.
That is indeed an awesome range of medications. One should always discuss these issuesfrankly with the doc ( and he should also be well aware of the medical aid limits ). As I don't understand his thinking, I have no idea why he has you taking 2 different antidepressants,and such a range of mood stabolizers, etc. I guess he diagnosed Bipolar Disorder, but this is the wort of complex meds I;d expect only where someone has had the disorder for some years with considerable difficult experienced in getting it under control.
Only the doc who has properly assessed and diagnosed you should know whether this buffet can be reduced, and if so, how and where ; and you need his advice on how best to cut down specific drugs with minimum problems.
All doctors should always discuss the medication, its reasoning, benefits and side-effects when prescribing, and not leave you guessing. Zyprexa can be used in psychosis or as a mood-stabilizer in bipolar disorder.
You sem to be on an unusually complex and expensive combination of medicines. There may be an excellent reason for this, but the doc prescribing it ought to reveal this to you, and discuss whether cheaper such as generic alternatives might be as useful. If this is not convincing for you, you might want to arange for a second opinion. And doctors hould always take into account a patient's ability to pay for the use of expensive drugs, especially when there may be cheaper alternatives.

2

Gosh, this is a lot of drugs! I def agree with cybersjrink. Also, maybe if you ask for generics it could help? Usually med aids are more willing to pay for generic meds. From what I recall, a couple of these do have generic versions...

wow.