Question
Posted by: Bipolar chick | 2012/08/06

Medication

I was hospitalized about a month ago for 2 weeks after a breakdown (severe mental abuse). And my psychiatrist also diagnosed me with bipolar - which he has been suspecting for a while.
I''m self employed, but I really struggle just to do basic tasks like typing and my pace of work is much slower. I''m also cold all the time, and I struggle to get up in the morning, I take meds at 8, and go to bed at 9 and get up at 6. So that should be more than enough sleep.

I''m on the following meds :
Evening : 800 mg Camcolit
Adco zolpidem
2 mg Rivotrol

Morning : 25 mg Eurhyrox (thyroid was destroyed after Grave''s disease)
60 mg Cymggen. I''ve been on for 3 years, and doc want''s me to wean off it

Afternoon 2 mg Rivotrol

I''m seeling my doc in 2 weeks again

Bipolar itself doesn't necessarily explain the difficulties you mention. When in a Depressed phase of a bipolar disorder, yes - one may be slowed down and find it hard to concentrate. But there can be other reasons for this. FOr instance, if one's thyroid gland isn't working well, one may have the same problems, including feeling excessively sensitive to the cold. It'd be a good idea to have your thyroid function tested. You later mention taking thyroid hoemone, but maybe the dose isn't enough, and this could usefully be re-assessed, maybe by seeing a general physiciam who works with thyroid disorders. If one's overall level of thyroid function ( taking into account whether the replacement doses are enough ) is low, this can both make depression worse or even simulate depression, and reduces the effectiveness of antidepressants.
Why are you on xolpidem ( which is a sleeping med ) - did you previously have significant problems in getting to sleep ?

1