Question
Posted by: Liz | 2012/03/18

Medication

Dear Doc, after suffering a brain injury in a car crash 9 years ago, I have only just started to accept the fact that I have a problem. I have been to counselling for the last 12 months, and have seen a psychiatrist who has prescribed Zoloft for my anxiety. I tend to forget things and have big gaps in my thinking and memory. I sometimes start a conversation and my mind trails off, having completely forgotten what I wanted to say. People have to remind me that they told me stuff, or that I t old them or did not, or I lose things and dont know where I put them etc.
I also had a dislocated hip, which has not been replaced but disclosed. THis hip causes severe pain at times, yet the doctors cannot do much except prescribed anti-inflammatories. If i sit in a car for too long or on a chair for too long, my leg and back is stiff and painful. I am on Zoloft, celebrex, urbanol and I smoke almost a pack a day as I help my husband run a business and I battle to cope with the stress. I break out in a sweat regularly, ie. had an EEG done last week and my scalp was so wet that the electronic tabs would not stick! No one seems to be giving me a straight answer as to what I can do to improve my quality of life and find calm and peace. I struggle to accept the brain injury and the painful hip and dont know how I am going to get through it all. I have three wonderful kids and a supportive husband, but am so worried about the future and my health it freaks me out. I dont want to become a regular pill-popper as I dont want my kids to think that this is the way to deal with problems. However, the anxiety and stress gets so high that I start shaking at times.

I have had a similar experience, so I can empathize as well as understanding this professionally.
Obviously an orthopedic opinion is needed as to whether there is more usefully to be done to improve the state of the hip. Anti-inflammatories may help, but be cautious of many painkillers, some popular with orthopods and GPa, and available over-the-counter, which include antihistamines and similar chemicals included to be very sedative - they may make one comfortably drowsy, but one can easily become dependent on them, and their sedative properties can cause or worsen the sort of memory / concentration problems you describe.
Of course the smoking doesn't help improve anyone's health.
I am surprised if you hav e not been referred to a psychologist for, if possible, specialized counselling - there should be some psychologists who could be recommended by the nrurologist who was dealing with your brain injury, , perhaps by your psychiatrist, who would have experience of helping specifically with the problems of those of us dealing with brain damage and chronic orthopedic pain.

1