Posted by: El | 2012-03-07

Dear Doc,

Will the Solal Technologies Melatonin have a effect on my anti-depressants? I cannot sleep. Used a Melatonin tablet last night and was less restless. Got sleepy and did not wake up tired.
Thank You

Expert ImageSleep Expert

It could have an effect. The problem is that these products are NOT adequately tested - we do not know the correct dose, the correct timing of the dose, possible side-effects, or possible drug interactions. Until this research is done, I really could not recommend these products.

There is a licensed product, called Valdoxane, which is based on the chemical structure of melatonin, which has been shown to be useful in depression, and also in some cases of insomnia associated with depression. Rather discuss with your doctor this as a possible adjunct to your treatment.