Posted by: Mrs A Janse van Vuuren | 2011-09-28

May I use Arthrexin while I am on warfarin. I have a Pacemaker.

Expert ImageCardiologist

Hi there Mrs Janse van Vuuren.

I presume you are on warfarin because you have chronic atrial fibrillation.

Ideally, patients taking warfarin should not use anti-inflammatories such as Arthrexin (indomethacin) as they tend to increase the risk of bleeding particularly stomach bleeding.

However, it does depend to a certain extent on why and how you use the anti-inflammatories. If you have severe pain and Arthrexin helps and you take it only for a day or two, for example for gout, then the benefit will be great and the risk small. On the other hand if you have mild chronic pain I would avoid taking Arthrexin over a long period of time because in that case the risk probaoutweigh the small benefit.

Alternatives to anti-inflammatories for pain include paracetamol and tramadol, neither of which is affected by warfarin.

I would be guided by your own doctor. I hope your pain improves!

Best wishes, JT.