Question
Posted by: Zexeon | 2011/09/22

Medication

I use to be on 1mg of Risperdal but didn''t drink my meds as often so I was administered 50mg depot every 2 week for a few months now. Then I read books and decided to lower the dose as it is too much. Now I''m only going for my injection 1 a month and I feel great. What if I skip my injection all together for 3 months and then have it again for another 3 then I could give my body a well deserved brake? I''ve lost my appetite and finally loosing between 200g-400g per day and that is what is a great thing happening in my life right now ... :-)

On what grounds did you decide that the recommended dose was "too much" ? Was this a sort ofn theoretical idea, or was it causing intolerable side-effects ? The real issue should probably be what dose is effective in producing the benefits one wants.
You say you feel "great" receiving the injection once a month rather than every 2 weeks. But skipping an injection is a really bad idea - your body does not need a "break" from it, any more than a diabetic needs a "break" from insulin. If you can function excellently without the drug, then it isn't needed at all, but apparently your specialist has recommended it for good reasons, with which you at least initially, agreed. I'm not sure what you mean by "great" if it means reduced appetite and weight loss, that might not necessarily be a good thing.
However, the best answer is you need to discuss these ideas of yours with your prescribing doc, and examine the advantages and disadvantages of changing thwe approach to this potentiall very useful medication.

1