Question
Posted by: dw | 2011/02/11

medication

Hi Doc. I have been on Venlor 225mg for almost 5 years now for my anxiety. I has helped a great deal and I was wondering if I ever could come off this. It costs me R1000 a month and next year Im going back to study full time and wont have a medical aid anymore. What do you suggest? My shrink said that it is a chronic condition whereby I need medication but what happens if you just cant afford it? Thanks.

It should be possible - most people don't need such medication for such a long time, to regain control of anxiety. And posibly adding CBT to give you personally more skills to control it, would also be useful. Also, aren't there generic versions of Venlor yet, which would at least be cheaper ? And as Liza says, a government / privincial clinic ( or mabe also student health wherever you will be studying ) could give you something similar enough, if you need to remain on it. DOn't come off it suddenly, though, and explain to your psychiatrist why you will not be able to afford it, and ask for advice as to hoe best to come off it, and for advice on cheaper generic alternatives. There are alternatives for EVERY drug

2

Posted by: Liza | 2011/02/11

When I was unemployed, I got my meds from the government clinic. They might change your meds to something else - depending on what medications the state is willing to supply. Even though their range of meds is limited, they should have an antidepressant that will work for you. If there isn''t, they could give you a referral to a hospital out-patient facility where the range of meds is bigger than a regular clinic. They might even have Venlor or a different generic brand of venlafaxine.

Good Luck
Liza

Reply to Liza