Question
Posted by: BEW | 2009-10-06

Medication

Thanks for your reply.

Maybe i am getting the names wrong or something, cause this is from a psychiatrist.

Please could you give me more clarity, as i struggle to get through to my shrink, and when i do, maybe i dont ask the right things.

Currently on 20mg Paroxetine

Now this is being increased to 40mg Paroxetine and 0.5 mg Fluaxnol..reading off the script here starts with Flu and ends with an L so thats what i read.

I do have an appointment for next week. But am nervous about starting this new plan, as i dont know what is wrong with me, and the wrong meds could have very bad side effects?

If you have trouble remembering your questionss when you see your shrink, or remembering his answers, make notes and carry them with you.
Paroxetine is an antidepressant of the SSRI family ( like Fluoxetine which was al;so known as Prozac ) and several others. And it is an effective antidepressant. Both 20 and 40 mg are reasonable doses, especially when prescribed by a psychiatrist. The other drug, especially with the dose you mention, does sound like Fluanxol, which can be useful to help with anxiety symptoms, and has the advantage that it does not produce dependency like the valium family of tranquillizers can. It is a mild medication and really unlkely to have any "very bad side effects" --- indeed, you may notice no particular side-effects from it. So do start on the combination he recommended, so that when you see him next week, you can report how the newly recommended combination is working, and can then also ask him any remaining questions you have, so you understand his plans and what to expect from them