Posted by: Emma | 2009-02-06

I have been taking Remeron for about 3 months now. Treatment for depression and gad. I find that my confidence has improved and I feel almost the same as I did when I was 20 (confidence wise but back then without meds) I am just wondering why my mental well being changed so much in 30 years that I now need meds to feel good and able to cope with life? Does this happen to a lot of people or is it the stressful lives we lead these days?

While Remeron is making me feel a lot better - I do however feel guilty about having to take such medication!

There are many different factors which may lead to us becoming depressed and / or anxious during one's life --- psychological, chemical and other factors in one's life circumstances. As your experience shows, although when depressed you may lose confidence and feel permanently changed for the worse, recovery reveals that you are the same capable person you always were, maybe a bit wiser
But why feel guilty about taking a medication which works ? Do you feel guilty when an aspirin releaves your headache ? Or when you wear a plaster on a broken leg until it heals ?