Posted by: Carolina | 2009-08-07

Medicated IUI-how many follicles max

While doing a medicated IUI cycle with clomid & gonal-f, what is the max follicles allowed before they cancel our cycle? I' m worried it gets canceled if there are too many.

Dear Carolina

I am assuming that your cycle may get cancelled if there is a high risk of a complication called ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome. There is no definitive number of follicles that one sees before you cancel or allow a cycle to continue. One looks at several factors, which may include the number of follicles in relationship to the estradiol level. Generally an estradiol level of between 12000 – 15000 would result in a cancelled cycle, as the risk of hyperstimulation may be very high under those circumstances.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo