Posted by: Sarah | 2013-01-17

Medical records and blood transfusion

Good Morning and welcome back Cyberdoc!

Can you please tell me if a patient has the right to look at their medical file. I was paging through my file whilst waiting to pay my account and the admin assistant went berserk saying you are not allowed to do that - no even we are. I am under the impression that you can access your own medical records at any time?

I had a full blood transfusion at birth. Pardon my ignorance, but would my blood type be the same then as what it is now? i.e. O positive?

Is there any link to diseases or problems later on in life related to a blood transfusion at birth? I have had HIV tests etc, but I mean do you then have a lower immunity or something like that? I have pernicious anemia and so does my mom. I am now 47.

Yes, you do have the right to go through your file but rather ask your doctor opinion or permission and examine your file with your doctor present. This way he/she will be able to answer any questions that you might have. Your blood type will be the same, even after a blood transfusion. There will be no correlation between the blood transfusion and an impaired immunity, unless you aquired a blood born disease, like HIV or hepatitis.