Question
Posted by: Cornelia | 2009-05-11

Medical aid rejected chronic medication

My doctor diagnosed me with osteoporosis. (T-score on L1 -2.1, L2 -1.6, L3 -2.8, L4 -2.0, with total hip normal, but Femoral Neck Right and Left as osteopenic.)

He submitted Aclasta 5mg annually and Calcium Optimum + as chronic medicine to my medical aid, but both was declined with reason that the bone density tests showed osteopenia.

My doctor resubmitted the Aclasta request and stressed that the alternative medication will irritate the hiatus hernia, but I doubt that the medical aid will authorise Aclasta, this time.

What is my options?
What is the best way forward if Aclasta is rejected again?
Does Controloc (for hernia) contribute to lost in bone density?
Would it better for me to undergo a hernia operation?

Thank you.

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Cornelia
your total t-score on the spine is also osteopenic- hence the medical aid not paying for Aclasta. Controloc will not contribute to your osteoporosis.
I think you need to phone me at the osteoporosis foundation (021 9317894) so that I can get a little more information from you and give a more sensible answer.

1
Posted by: Cornelia | 2009-06-05

Thank you very much for all your assistance, and helpful information re PPI' s &  calcium absorption.
I really appreciate that you called me back.
Just as an update.
My medical aid eventually approved Aclasta, due to the Aclasta Patient Support Group’ s intervention and my doctor' s determination to request the treatment.
Thank you!

Reply to Cornelia