Question
Posted by: Maria | 2011/08/17

Medical aid extended psychiatric benefit

Hey CS

No question, just wanted to share some information with other readers. I''m with Discovery, and ran out of psychiatric benefits about two months ago, after a couple of psychiatrist visits, and therapy for my daughter and myself.

On Monday my psychologist submitted a form to Discovery requesting that my benefits be extended, and they approved another 15 psychotherapy sessions. I''m amazed, I never thought they would do that.

So if you run out of benefits and need more, ask. The worst they can do is say no.

Scratches to kitty.

Good to hear that they acted sensibly here - I know with any Medical Aid it's important for your doc to be prepared to phone and write to them and ask for further benefits when these are really needed. I think they're headed by Dr Broomberg who I know and is a lively and sensible guy.
Of course, as Liza notes, the extra benefits to those diagnosed Bipolar rather than just Depression are illogical, and lead to mos depressives being diagnosed as Bipolar, for their own benefit.
Kitty is on heat again, so the amorous cactus embraces and scratches, and howls like a chicken on acid.

2
Posted by: Liza | 2011/08/18

I''m on Discovery as well. My psychiatrist always sends the application and motivation to Discovery in January. That way all my appointments are paid out from the Prescribed minimum benefit instead of my savings and above threshold benefit. It makes a massive difference since I don''t reach my self-payment gap as quickly...

Just remember that you have to be diagnosed with Bipolar for the appointments to be paid from the PMB''s. People on Discovery and diagnosed with Major Depression will only be paid out if you''re on an expensive plan that covers the extended list of chronic conditions.

Tax season note - Remember to claim correctly for your medical expenses, since people with long-term mental illness (like Bipolar and Schizophrenia) qualify as being handicapped - which means that you can claim back a LOT more...

Reply to Liza