Posted by: Jean | 2009-09-30

Medical Aid

Since my marriage 7 years ago my husband and his company have paid for my medical aid (I am a dependent). If we get divorced, is he forced to keep me on the med aid, or would I have to join up with my own? I don' t work and can' t afford contributions which is why I have never paid them.

Expert ImageDivorce support expert

Hi Jean,

there are no obligations unless previously stated.
These are the kind of things that would need to be established in the divorce settlement. Do you have children and what is motivating you to explore a possible divorce?
You mention you don't work. In the event of a divorce, wouldn't it be advisable to start working to provide for yourself?

Posted by: Wonder | 2009-10-26

Is it possible for a husband to take his wife off from his medical aid before they are divorced? Or is there a law to prevent him doing it?

Reply to Wonder