Question
Posted by: annoyed | 2011/04/01

med scheme costs

My medical scheme’ s so-called “ savings account”  always runs out by about August. For the rest of the year, I don’ t know what the medical scheme is for –  perhaps it covers hospital bills.

It costs about R2 500 a month for my husband and me, but I don’ t think it’ s worth it. Yet I’ m too frightened to cancel in case something like a car accident happens. Any ideas?

Expert ImageMoney Expert

Sounds like you have a "typical" hospital plan where you have a savings account that is supposed to pay for day to day expenses and then the "med aid" part that covers you for (most) in-hospital expenses. If you are like most people then your savings will run out during the year...try to budget for this by putting aside extra funds into an "emergency fund" such as a money market unit trust account or even open a savings account with someone like Capitec to accumulate funds for when the savings run out. I operate without a saving portion on our med aid and just put all our money for day to day expenses into the emergency fund...that way we are never disappointed when the med aid does not pay as we dont ever claim for non-hospital expenses.

1
Posted by: Money Expert | 2011/04/12

Reply to Money Expert