Posted by: steve | 2008-11-12

Meat (See q. 788)

Just to follow up on question 788.

Mens Health (Jan 2004, page 59) - states the following :

When you eat, your body has to expend kilojoules to digest the food. Protein causes this inner fibre to burn the hottest, followed by carbohydrates, followed by fat. Animal proteins increase thermogenesis more than vegetable proteins, so the best kilojoule-burning foods are lean meats. So eat some protein at each meal - build your dinner around lean chicken, beef or pork. This way you are burning the most kilojoules through digestion at the end of the day, when your metabolism is slower." 

Can you comment on the above ?

Dear Steve
The basic message is reasonably correct, but I don't know what they mean by "inner fibre"??? It is true that animal proteins do increase thermogenesis to a greater degree than carbs and fats, but what I mentioned to you in my previous posting still holds true. Eat lean, fat-trimmed meat like chicken breasts without the skin, fat-trimmed pork, venison, ostrich - these are the leanest meats and one should still not have more than 50 g a sitting. Actually the protein RDA is about 60g a day for adults, so most South Africans eat more protein than is required. Vegetable protein may not increase your thermogenesis as much as animal protein, but vegetable proteins like soya and other legumes are very low in fat, do not contain any cholesterol and have a low energy content because of their high fibre content, so they are an ideal slimming food.

Posted by: ZA | 2008-11-12

I love the idea! I love meat!!!

Reply to ZA