Question
Posted by: Sindi | 2011/05/16

meat

dear doc

i am a meat fanatic i love all cuts and all the different kinds ,i feel like i would never be able to be vegeterain because of my love for meat ,as a result i am not a fan of carbs ,i could have meat the whole day as a result i think there is something wrong with me ,i just wanted to find out because animals are classified as omnivores, herbivores and carnivores is the such a thing as a carnivorous human being? im on a weight loss diet and its taking me a while to lose weight some weeks are better than others on some i lose weight and the most ive lost in one week was 0.9 of a kilo ive dropped from 79.4 kilos to 76.1 and now the weight and ive reached a point where the weight is just not comming off ,could it be the meat ,i work out at the gym 5 times a week for an hour and for breakfast i would hve a 500ml smoothie or muesli with fat free milk and banana,and i snack on cherry tomatoes or fruit in between and then ill have a chicken salad for lunch ,for dinner i will have chicken lamb or beef with veggies ,like i said i do not really like carbs i rarely eat them and ill probably have an extra piece of meat ,what could i do to optimise my weight loss but still incorporating the meat ,i drink water exclusively.

Dear Sindi
Some people who do only eat meat, consume what one could call a carnivore diet. In general, high-protein, low-carb diets are known to promote weightloss, so I can only think that your are eating meat with a high fat content. Try eating very lean meat with no visible fat and grilling the meat or pan frying it without any added oil or fat. This should reduce your total energy intake and assist with weightloss. Or you can try reducing the size of the meat portions and increase the amount of vegetables you eat. A weightloss of more than half a kg or close to 1 kg per week is actually excellent. You could also try including daily exercise for at least 30 min (jogging, brisk walking, skipping, swimming, cycling, etc) to stimulate your metabolism and assist with the weightloss. Be careful that you don't develop a calcium deficiency by adding another 2 servings of low-fat milk or yoghurt to your diet.
Hope this helps

1

Dear Sindi
Hope this helps