Question
Posted by: Overweight | 2010/02/24

measurements

I need to lose about 5 kilos and would like to measure my progress. I have worked out a diet which DietDoc has approved and will combine it with exercise - sigh, I don''t like exercising.

Anyway, I would like to measure my progress and apart from weighing myself once a week, I would also like to take measurements (which I think might be more important). Which ones should I take? I thought of: chest, waist, hips, thighs and possibly upper arms?

Hi Overweight

My advice is that you don't measure weight on the scale for at least the first 4 to 6 weeks. I know it's tempting and that's your ultimate goal, but wait for a month before you do it. The reasons are numerous, but the main one is that when you start training, you may struggle to lose weight, because you increase muscle mass, you increase blood volume, and even if you lose some fat, your weight on the scale won't come down.

That leads to discouragement. My advice is that you measure only your fitness levels, forget the scale. If you are getting fitter, the rest will take care of itself. The other problem for you is that with only 5kg to lose, it's not as though you are going to see these massive reductions in arms, thighs, waist. You'll see some, yes, but they'll be small - maybe 1 cm in the next few months. Now, if you measure these things even slightly inaccurately, then you could easily get that 1cm wrong, and then you'll be off completely.

So again, try not to worry too much about the numbers, rather get fitter. If for example you can only run 5 minutes now, then work out a programme that builds it up so that by the end of March you're running 25 minutes. IF you achieve that, then you're on the right path.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/02/25

Hi Overweight

Reply to fitnessdoc