Question
Posted by: Anon | 2009-09-03

Measles

This is my first time posting on this site... I am 18 weeks pregnant and I have a question. I had just heard that my stepson has the measles and he was visiting with us over the weekend. I am not sure when the symptoms started, we did not notice any over the weekend and he seemed fine. Should I be worried??

Dear Anon
Measles can be transmitted from four days before the rash becomes visible to four days after the rash appears. If you had measles as a child or had the MMR vaccine, you should be fine.
If not: please watch out for any symptoms:
7-11 days after contact the first symptoms are normally similar to those of a bad cold: fever, runny nose, sore throat and a cough. A few days later a bright red, blotchy rash breaks out on the forehead, face and neck. Within a few days the rash spreads to the body, arms and legs, by which time the rash will begin to fade from the face. When the rash breaks out, you may also develop conjunctivitis.
Your doctor can give you human immunoglobulin to try to prevent infection.