Question
Posted by: TP | 2009-11-24

meal times

My basic question is, does it really matter how you distribute your food intake through the day?

I’ m 25 and do not struggle with my weight at all. I seem to get away with eating a lot more than most girls, although I actually eat a pretty well balanced, healthy diet, despite my weakness for complex carbs! The thing is, I’ m not a big fan of breakfast (hate doing anything in the AM, let alone eating) so I’ ll often just have some dried fruit and nuts at about 9 or 10 at work. This totally satisfies my hunger if i have a normal lunch. I find eating a bigger breakfast earlier(I’ ve tried everything from carbs to fruit and yoghurt to fry up bacon and eggs) leaves me starving all day even after lunch and i just end up snacking! I also like a big filling supper. Is this really problematic (“ breakfast is the most important meal of the day”  " no meals 3 hours before bed"  etc etc)?

Thanks All!

Dear TP
The fact that you do eat "in the morning" is adequate. As long as you do have some food after the long fast from supper to your morning meal to increase your blood sugar levels so that your brain can function properly, this should be adequate. Eating dried fruit and nuts is a low-GI meal which will see you through to lunch. If you do find that you get ravenous after eating high-GI carbs then you may suffer from low blood sugar (reactive hypoglycaemia), so if this ever becomes a problem discuss it with your medical dr who can do tests to determine if you do have hypoglycaemia.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2009-11-25

Dear TP