Question
Posted by: Stacey | 2012-11-21

Meal sizes

I am 1.62cm and weigh 50kgs , i exercise etc . I get hungry every 2.5-3 hrs so i eat 3 meals and have snacks between , my meals are healthy ( tuna on low gi bread with salad is lunch ) . I was wondering how many kj +- should each meal be and each snack.

Thanks so much

Dear Stacey
Your present BMI = 19,1 which is very low. If you are a moderately active adult woman you need 8400 kJ (2000 kcal) per day to maintain weight and fuel your activities. If you do very strenuous exercise you may require even more energy, esp as your BMI is so low. However, If we work on 8400 kJ per day and we divide this over 6 meals (that is if your snacks and small meals have the same energy content), then each meal and snack should provide 1400 kJ. If you decide that you prefer having slightly larger meals and smaller snacks then the meals should provide 2100 kJ each (3 x 2100 = 6300 kJ) and the 3 snacks should provide 700 kJ each (3 x 700 = 2100 kJ) (Thus 6300 + 2100 = 8400 kJ per day). It would be prudent if you could increase your BMI to 22 which is ideal for adult women. To achieve this BMI, you would need to weigh 57,6 kg.

1
Posted by: Rita | 2012-11-26

Back in shocol, I''m doing so much learning.

Reply to Rita