Question
Posted by: Queasy | 2009/12/04

Meal replacements in pregnancy

I' m suffering terribly with morning sickness and as a result my diet is suffering - I am only eating plain rice, dry biscuits and green apples. I am concerned that my baby is not getting sufficient nutrition. Would it be wise to take a meal replacement shake?

Dear Queasy
Morning sickness is a great trial during pregnancy. Have you discussed the severity of the morning sickness with the dr who is overseeing your pregnancy? If not, then it may be a good idea because the dr may have to prescribe additional vitamin and mineral supplements for you and your baby. You can certainly experiment with meal replacement such as Ensure, Nestle Nutren 1.0, Nutren Fibre, and Peptamen, to name but a few. Discuss this with your chemist explaining that you suffer so severely from nausea. It is best to take the meal replacements ice cold as this lessens the nausea and to sip small quantities throughout the day instead of having a large portion. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Eating throughout life' and read the articles on 'Pregnancy' which include tips to combat morning sickness.
I do hope that the nausea will subside as you move into the 2nd trimester and that you feel really well for the rest of your pregnancy .

1

Dear Queasy