Question
Posted by: Maria | 2012/01/16

Meal replacement shakes for 9 year old

My daughter is 9. We try to pack healthy food - nuts, dried fruit, fresh fruit, rice cakes - in her school lunchbox as she has digestive problems and it is of course important to get the right nutrition for the school day. The problem is that she often doesn''t each much, sometimes nothing at all, at school. This becomes especially problematic if she has an after school activity and only gets home late in the afternoon. She does usually drink, and we fill her bottle with ice tea or diluted fruit juice. Can we pack a meal replacement shake for her to drink during the day so that she at least gets something in to give her energy? Any specific recommendation?

Dear Maria
You certainly have a problem with your lassie. if she does not eat anything all day at school, esp if she does an after-school activity, then her energy levels must be totally depleted by the time she returns home. You don't mention what kind of digestive problems she suffers from? Allergies or constipation or enzyme deficiencies??? If she has a condition that interferes with her appetite, then this could well be why she does not eat during the day. The type of problem she has could also determine what type of meal replacement shake she can use. It may be a good idea to consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), so that the dietitian can assess your lassie's weight, growth and her digestive problems and help you decide on the correct meal replacement shake (i.e. Nutren with or without dietary fibre, a lactose-free shake, etc).
I do hope you will get this problem solved because I am sure that your daughter will benefit from being able to eat something during the day so that her blood sugar levels are normalised and she has more energy.

3
Posted by: ICE | 2012/01/18

Have you tried giving her drinking yogurt (like yogisip) - great, healthy snack and drinkable... (I used to live off them in varsity when there wasn''t time to eat between classes)

Reply to ICE
Posted by: Maria | 2012/01/16

I should also mention that she is a very fussy eater, so there are a limited number of things that we can put in her lunch box.

Reply to Maria

Dear Maria