Posted by: Liezl | 2009-01-14

Meal replacement shakes &  Thyroid

Dear Doc,

Thought I should ask before starting to use a meal replacement shake:

I have an underactive thyroid and use medication daily. Am exercising regulary and want to start doing 5 small meals a day, just to keep the blood sugar constant.

What should I look out for in a good meal replacement shake (to be used 2x a day) ?

Dear Liezl
If you are going to use a meal replacement shake for 2 of your small meals a day to promote weightloss, then it is important that the portion of the shake you use should not contain more energy than 1/5 of your recommended daily energy intake which is 6300 kJ per day for adult women seeking to lose weight. Thus 6300/5 = 1200 kJ per serving. Keep in mind that if a full serving of the shake with or without skim milk contains more energy that you can use half a serving for one of your small meals. There are a large number of these slimming shakes available at most chemists and even in some supermarkets. Check the label to see if the shake you buy contains less than 2100 kJ per serving (this would be if you eat only 3 meals a day). This will indicate if the shake will promote weightloss because some of the so-called slimming shakes have a higher energy content and then don't do the job. Continue to take your thyroid medication and keep up the good work with the exercise (try for at least 30 min a day of aerobic or cardio exercise) was this stimulates the metabolism.

Posted by: Anon | 2009-01-15

Hi there,i am using herbalife formula 1 and for breakfast or mornonig snack it works great with only 914 kj.and is delicious.good luck