Question
Posted by: Julia | 2012/03/20

meal replacement drinks/supplements - which brand is best?

I''m looking for a high-protein low-carb meal replacement drink. Ideally, it should be a slimming product as I''m definitely not looking to bulk up or anything and am always working to keep lean! I''m an active runner (about 24km a week) and try to gym at least 3 days a week as well, but with my crazy schedule I find it hard to pre-prepare healthy and balanced meals to eat throughout the day, and often find myself going too long between meals, which leaves me drained in the late afternoon and evening.

Many people have suggested a meal replacement shake as an easy alternative for those days when I can''t pre-prepare food for after gym, but nobody can tell me for sure which brand and shake would be the best option - someone suggested a biogen slimming shake, which combines protein, low GI carbs, omega-oils and vitamins, but then I''ve heard from many people, especially sportsmen who use protein supplements, that biogen is a pharmacy generic brand and is poor quality.

The evox lean pro shake has also been recommended to me, but it has virtually no carbs, and seems to be an atkins-diet type of supplement - this sounds great to me, but is it a proper meal replacement drink or merely a protein supplement to complement workout and recovery?

I''m looking for something that is primarily protein based but has enough low-GI carbs and fibre to provide me with a decent post-workout meal, if taken with fat-free milk and a portion of fresh fruits and/or veggies.

The biogen shake looks great in terms of ingredients and proportion, but what knowledgeable people have said about the quality of biogen has put me off. The evox shake doesnt seem to be complete nutritionally, but the brand comes highly recommended by many people - can anyone tell me what the best option is for a proper protein-based meal replacement shake that has a balance of carbs, protein and fibre and will complement my diet and lifestyle without breaking the bank?
Thanks!!

Jules

Dear Julia
I hear what you are saying and agree that while it is relatively easy to recommend complete nutrient and meal replacement products like Nutren or Fresubin to patients who are not top athletes, it is much more difficult to select one of the many shakes that flood the sports market. I can only suggest that you contact the Department of Human Nutrition at the University of Potchefstroom (North-West University) and ask to speak to Prof Hattie Wright who is an expert on sports nutrition. Google the University to obtain their contact details.
I do hope you will be able to select the right sports drink for your circumstances.

2
Posted by: lauren | 2016/02/24

i am looking for a shake that can fill me as i dnt get tym to prepare food always i am a diabetic using insulin.

Reply to lauren

Dear Julia