Question
Posted by: KARIEN | 2012/06/26

MEAL REPLACEMENT

Good day, I enjoy taking a meal replacement in the morning - because of time but mostly I find it difficult to eat so early in the morning. I have been taking USN Ultra Lean Diet Fuel with either skim or 2 % milk. I am not sure if this is the correct item to be taking - am also in process of weightloss. Should I rather take pure protein ? It is very confusing with the market saturated.
thanking you kindly
Karien

Dear Karien
I agree wholeheartedly that the meal replacement and/or 'shake' market is totally oversupplied with hundreds of different nutrition and sport products all promising a hundred different things. The most relevant test for someone using a meal replacement product when slimming is as follows: Check the energy content of one serving of the product you have selected plus the skim or 2% milk to see if it provides more than 1/3 of the daily energy requirement of an adult woman trying to lose weight (i.e. 6300 kJ/day), thus 1/3 x 6300 = 2100 kJ per serving of the shake plus milk/water, etc. If the shake provides more than this, then it won't contribute to slimming. Also be careful that any product you use does not overload your system with excess vitamins and minerals (i.e. more than 100% of the RDA of any given nutrient per serving). If your product meets these criteria then the only other consideration is if you like the taste thereof. It is better to use a product that contains both protein and carbs, not just carbs alone so that you have some energy for your daily activities.

1

Dear Karien