Question
Posted by: Nadia | 2008/09/25

Meal Replacement

Hi Doc,

Sometimes I don' t feel like eating in the evening - which shake is the best to use then? I know I am suppose to cut out carbs at night, so I would really like a high protein low carb shake. I know its not the way to go, but I think its better to drink a shake than to have nothing at all?I have USN Diet Fuel Shake at home?

Hi Nadia

Who says you need to cut out carbs at night? That's not necessarily true, you'd have to look at the whole of your diet to make that call, because the idea that carbs are bad for you is completely incorrect - you need them, they're absolutely vital and if you don't have carbs in your diet, it could be very bad. So I think the first priority might be to sort out the diet and make double sure that you're doing everything else OK. ONce that is done, then this question might become a moot one - you might find that the shake is not needed. I'm not sure why you don't feel like eating, but I suspect that you need to figure out what to eat, rather than which shake to eat, to be healthy. I really am not a fan of these shakes - they claim a lot that is never proven, and they're no substitute. So I honestly think you should consider seeing a dietician about this one...

Ross