Question
Posted by: SB | 2012/05/29

Meal plans or diets when TTC

We are trying to conceive... I want to make my body as healthy as possible. Do you have any links to meal plans that will ensure optimal health for conception? I have a sensitivity to sugar and sometimes get blood sugar spikes when very stressed or anxious so I normally try eating protein and dairy to combat the onset of this.

Dear SB
Basically it is important to eat a well balanced, normal diet to achieve good health when you intend conceiving. Click on 'Diet & Nutrition', 'Eating throughout life' and 'Pregnancy' to read about the various nutrients that are important (esp iron, calcium folic acid and omega-3 fatty acids) before and during pregnancy. If you tend to develop blood sugar spikes then it is Essential that you have yourself checked for hypoglycaemia and/or insulin sensitivity and/or type 2 diabetes because pregnancy can cause so-called 'gestational diabetes' and it is better to be forewarned so that you can take dietary precautions than not to know. Please discuss this with your gp or gynae so that you can have the necessary tests done now and again once you have fallen pregnant.
Eating a low-GI (glycaemic index) diet can help a lot. When you are on the Diet site, click on 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Your solution of using protein and dairy foods to combat your hypoglycaemia is a good idea, as are 6 small meals evenly spaced through the day and the low-GI diet.
I hope you will soon fall pregnant, but do please have those tests done.

1

Dear SB