Posted by: Fats | 2009-03-27

Meal frequency

Hi Vanessa

I see that you frequently advise people to split overall calories into 6 evenly-spread meals.

Do you have any scientific proof that higher meal frequency is benificial for either body composition or performance? SNS tone? Speed of metabolism?

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

I don’t have those studies handy, but I know that they exist. In anyway just think for yourself how much better you feel when you eat regularly versus not and just for a moment think about how an athlete would struggle if he/she did not fuel and refuel their bodies while training – for them nutrient timing is even more vital – and those studies I can quote.

The body is like a clock - with every minute that it ticks it needs a certain amount of energy (basal metabolic rate = 1 calorie per kilogram of body weight per hour – extra calories have to be added for the digestion of food, daily activity and exercise activity). Although we have stores to supply this energy they will eventually run out if we do not regularly refuel by eating. Also if you eat a huge meal at once and the body ticks at the rate I stipulated – all excess calories will have to be stored and once the carb stores are full it will be stored as fat – that in itself is self explanatory.

In the medical field where insulin resistancy is a huge problem it is a well known fact that those people have slowed their metabolism by eating irregular meals – and there is a lot of scientific research done around this topic. If you constantly feed the body with food which it has to burn it is like keeping a fire burning – it is very hard to get a fire going once you have let it die.

I challenge you to test it and you will see for yourself. The proof is in the pudding.

Take care.

Posted by: Fats | 2009-04-02

I respectfully disagree.

All the research I' ve seen on this subject showed absolutely no difference, and if differences were picked up it went exactly the opposite way of what you' re saying.

Reply to Fats