Posted by: lulu | 2011-06-04

me, obese and energy

Dear Doc, its me Lulu again, the morbid obese lady. I was wondering if you could tell me why (besides the weight issue), i seem to be struggling with walking. It almost feels like my legs are stiff and I tend to shuffle along instead of walking, and when I do walk, I normally have to hold onto someone or something. I also battle to lift my legs when climbing stairs, now I know that body is heavy and its a strain on the legs but this has come on just recently (about 2 months) and some days it feels like my brain is just not functioning to tell the legs to move. what should i do about this. I only have pains in my hips and legs when I lay down, its painful to turn from side to side or from laying on my back to on the side, other than that there is not pain or aches, the legs just seem to not want to function. Thanks for your time, regards, Lulu

I think that your symptoms are due to being obese and your legs not being able to carry your weight anymore. I strongly suggest that you consult a dietician and a biokineticist for an exercise program. You should also consult your doctor for x-rays of your hips and knees, to rule out any pathological causes, like osteoperosis or osteoarthritis. Blood tests will also be helpful in excluding diabetes or any inflammatory processes that might be causing your symptoms.