Posted by: mom | 2009-06-09

me &  my toddler

i have 2 questions and hope you can give some advise.
1) i have very bad breath, i don' t have a cold or a blocked nose or any chest infection. i brush my teeth and tong twice a day, floss and rinse with mouth wash. i also chew clorettes during the day to keep my breath fresh, i don' t smoke. what could be the cause and how can i get rid of it.

2) my little boy of 18 months have recently developed something. he sleeps for a few hours at night, wakes up, starts crying, in the process of crying it looks like he' s gasping for air, two days ago he got blue in the face for a few seconds when this happened. this morning he started crying because i took away his cup, and the same happened, what could be the cause, it is terifying, i get scared, it looks like he' s suffacating.

Dear Mom
Bad breath can come from tooth decay, chronic post nasal drip, lung conditions like bronchitis or even from acid reflux from the stomach. See,12537.asp

Your little boy may get Breath holding spells and it is quite common in young children - it is usually an emotional reaction. However you should let your doctor check that there are no medical causes for this like anemia or epilepsy. The best way to prevent this is to try and distract him as soon as possible when he starts crying.