Question
Posted by: Controlfreak | 2011/09/10

Me again

Hi, its me again. Things have been going well latelely. My colleague has been concentrating on his work and keeping his nose out of mine mostly. But now one of my sites has a lot of work and I requested a 4 day visit to the site. The client overseas feels that it is too exhausting for one person to visit a site for 4 days in a row. But they don''t understand the politics I''m dealing with. I took him to a site for training purposes the other day, and while I was working he sat and chatted with the client. He was a guest at the site, he had no right to chat up my client. Wuthout even informing me, I had to find it out from the client. I think it will be far more exhausting to take him with for 2 days to Cape Town, spend 2 days in his company, stay in the same hotel after spending the whole day in his presence. But, that is just the personal stuff. His work is not of a high quality, he asks the dumbest questions and his sites are in shambles. Plus it is more exoensive for 2 people to go for 2 days than 1 person for 4 days. My manager understands my concerns, but to get the client to understand that I will be more relaxed if I can go for 4 days, get all the work done and not work overtime and answer emails until late at night is a different story. How do I handle it if the Sponsor decides that he must accompany me and we are only allowed a 2 day visit. My manager said I must not allow him to interact with the staff on site, give him specific tasks to do and keep him busy, But I know he is going to try and undermine my authority. Can I say to him from the start that it was not my decision, and that I am not happy about it. And that there are certain rules he must adhere to if he accompanies me. Like no contact with the site personell, only perform tasks allocated to him etc. And he will have to adhere to my schedule, because I work late at the site. I want to be a bitch and make the trip unbearable for him. I know it''s not right, but he always goes behind my back at my sites. He should know he is not welcome at my site and it was a Sponsor decision. I am not requesting the help. Or do I just say that I will be fine and find a way to cope in a 3 day visit to ensure that he does not accompany me. I don''t know what to do, but it is really stressing me to think I have to take him along to my most important site. And all I need is one extra day. Your advice will be appreciated.

Apart from whatever else might be going on, it really soudns as though this guy might genuinely not understand protocol and normal social niceties within this type of work. Many companies forget to include such guidance in their training. Is it conceivable that you could calmly chat with him on protocl issues, and how most people are expected to behave in such circumstances, explaining that when he does otherwise it may be interpreted in ways that mean things he doesn't intend at all ?
If his sites are in shambles, why do the other senior staff not notice this and take some action about it ?
I wonder why your client has any interest in seeing him for some of the time ? Clients wishes are very important, but can they not be told that he's not available t that time, or that your company policy is not to send 2 people when one would in your opinion be more efficient ?
As he is your junior and less expwerienced, it sounds entirely sensible for you to set out some ground rules for him to follow.
Of a 3 day visit is practical, why not ? And during it you can explain to the client that you would find a 4-day visit no more tiring than a 2 day on, and that it is actually more work to bring along a junior and then have to mop up after him.

1