Question
Posted by: Thabitha | 2012/03/09

Mcdonald operation

I had a baby girl in 2003, normal delivery but was torn bcos i was supposed to have had a caesar. i then had a miscariage in 2008 trisomy 16(girl), again in 2010 trisomy 16 (boy). Husband and i tested for chromo abnormality, the lab found out we are negative (clean). now in 2012 im 7 weeks pregnant, had a threatening miscarriage last week on 5 march. Dr prescibed ultrogestan. My concern is this baby is normal and why cant my dr recommend a McDonal operation.

Dear Thabitha

The McDonald operation is reserved for patients that have weakness or incompetence of the cervix (mouth of the womb). It will not prevent or alter the chromosomal status of your baby and therefore may not be appropriate in this situation. However should the doctor suspect an additional incompetence of the cervix outside of the chromosomal or other problems causing your miscarriages then there is no harm done in inserting the McDonald suture. I would like to stress however that the McDonald operation will only protect mid-trimester miscarriages in cases of incompetence of the cervix and should not be inserted in cases were an underlying chromosomal or genetic disorder is present.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

1
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2012/03/20

Dear Thabitha

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

Reply to Fertility expert