Posted by: Mark Bateman | 2009-08-16

May it be a possible hiatus hernia?

Hi Doc,

Please bear with me as this is a long story so that you can have the most info available to assist.

I picked up some food poisoning about 3 months ago and had the obvious symptoms (nausea, vomiting, diarrhea). I took some scopex and immodium and thought nothing further of it. Felt fine couple days later and went on about my normal actitivies as usual.

Inbetween i started feeling bloated, couldnt eat as much as what i used too and felt generally unwell. Went to visit my GP and he advised that it is gastritis where the acid from my stomach from the convulsions damaged my stomach lining a bit. He prescribed me nexiam (40mg) for a month and said that that should solve my problem. Initially it did, because i felt like a million bucks for 2 weeks. After that I started feeling ill again where and went back to another GP as mine was unavailable. It felt as if someone pressed down onto my chest when i breathe (which i have had before and it just went away by itself after a couple of days). He prescribed some librax and nexiam (which i still had some of) and referred my to a specialist. He also advised that it could be some other issue (cant remember exactly what because he was very vague about it). He also said that if i change my diet (I didnt live unhealthy at that stage, but used to have plenty of carbonated juices and junk food) my problem would kind of sort itself out. Being in Zululand, there is a LONG waiting list to see specialists. I thus just decided change my diet and lifestyle. I have also started to lose weight due to change in lifestyle. By the way, I havent taken the librax because of the side effects (which the doctor never informed me of). I started feeling better immediately just by changing eating habits by cutting out junk food, carbonated juices and overeating. I have now started drinking A LOT of water and only have health bread and smaller meals. I have also started having yoghurt and banana for breakfast which has assisted quite a bit. Overall i have been feeling good, BUT i have a uncomfortable and sensitive (wont say it hurts) feeling above my diaphragm (sorry about spelling) and it feels like i want to vomit bile (very acidy etc). That feeling sits at the top of my throat. It doesnt happen every day, so it obvious that i cannot have certain things to eat anymore. I am a 27 year old male, I dont smoke, dont consume alcohol and I generall try to live healthy nowadays. Is it possible that my gastritis hasnt healed properly yet because I only altered by lifestyle after taking nexiam for 2 weeks or is something else wrong?

Thank you!

To be safe, I suggest that you consult a gastroenterologist, in order to have the necessary tests done. A barium meal (sequence x-rays to evaluate reflux of stomach content), gastroscopy (the visualisation of the oesophagus, stomach sphingter and stomach lining by swallowing a small camera) and H-pylori breath test will shed light on what your problem is.

Eating healthy and changing your lifestyle, will minimise your symptoms.

Posted by: Mark Bateman | 2009-08-16

I dont eat any chocolates, sweets or any sweet stuffs anymore. I also dont drink coffee, tea or any hot drinks.

Reply to Mark Bateman