Question
Posted by: Nicola | 2008/07/14

Maximum Heart Rate during Pregnancy

I am 11 weeks pregnant and 30 years old. I am healthy and fit and used to strenuous exercise, e.g. participates in cycle races like the Argus and the 94.7 each year, swimming lengths and go to gym 4 - 5 times a week. Normally I exercise at an average heart rate of 145bpm, varies between 125 and 165. Since I got pregnant, I have continued exercising, like spinning, swimming and water aerobics, but have decided not to do the next 94.7 or the Argus.

However, I have now read that when pregnant my heart rate may not increase above 140? Is that true and if so, why? If I workout at that pace, I do not feel like I am getting anything done.

My gynea told me that I should continue as always, but just listen to my body and stop when I feel uncomfortable or too tired. Why is this different from what I am reading? I would like a second opinion please?

Yes, that is true. It would mean that insufficient blood was going to the baby as it would all be diverted to your muscles and heart. You would have to cut down your activity a bit.