Posted by: Purple | 2012-09-03

Maxalt and migraines

I get migraines. Not very often. Perhaps once a year or every second year, but sometimes in patches of three or four or five within a few months.

AFter not having had one for about 4 years, I got one last night. I''ve been under a significant amount of stress lately and have not been sleeping well, so I think I know why it arrived.

My question is that I keep Maxalt wafers on hand to take for it and I took one last night when I lost my vision and began seeing flashing lights, which knocked me out and stopped the pain starting up. I have just noticed on the package insert that you are supposed to check with your doctor if you are on antidepressants - I am - I''ve been on Cipralex for 3 years.

I have some muscle aches this morning, which is why I was reading hte package insert - and I do see that this is a side effect (I notice that extreme thirst is not listed, but I get that every time I use the Maxalt too).

Is it OK to take Maxalt if I am on Cipralex? Should I ask my doctor to prescribe a different migraine medicine? I''ve head that there are ones that contain sumatriptan instead of rizatriptan.

I also see that migraine is more common amongst depression sufferers, why would a medicine that can''t be taken with antidepressants that be generally prescribed for migraine sufferers?

The simultaneous use of Cipralex and Maxalt can cause serotonin syndrome, which is a serious condition, resulting in an altered state of conciousness. For more information about the drug interactions, refer to the following link:,2024-0

You can consult your doctor for alternative migraine medication. Maxalt can be used with caution, if the potential benefit outweigh the risk.