Question
Posted by: heidi | 2011/10/24

maxalt and dormicum

i went in for a laparoscopy last tuesday. got a migraine attack beforehand and my anaesthetist said no problem, maxalt wont interfere with the general anaesthetic. by the time i got the maxalt, it was also time for the premed, dormicum. the rest is all a bit hazy but when i woke up after the surgery, except for pain from surgery, my migraine was gone, but completely, like never before. no pulsating arteries and i did not feel like i normally feel after a migraine attack. i normally feel the aftershocks for at least two or three days afterwards.

can you maybe shed light on why this happened? because i was so relaxed due to the dormicum?

do you think its worth asking my gp to prescribe equal amounts of dormicum for the amount of maxalt prescribed? i know it will knock me out but i feel this is so much better than drinking pain killers that only lessen the pain.

your advice will be greatly appreciated.

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Heidi,

That is certainly not a good idea, and I am pretty sure no doctor would prescribe that. There is a better way though. If the Maxalt helps, then you can almost certainly be helped by a surgical procedure done in a day clinic. One would of course have to make 100% certain, and to do that you need a comprehensive diagnosis. To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”, which should include a neurological examination to rule out any serious underlying condition. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension, and of the external carotid vasculature to determine whether there is an arterial element to the pain.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) on 0861 678 911.

1
Posted by: Headache expert | 2011/10/24

Dear Heidi,

Reply to Headache expert