Posted by: Anton Davies | 2010-08-30

Max heart rate

I am a fit healthy 44 year old male, with resting pulse around 57 and normal blood pressure. I have found recently when i am training that my heart rate goes up as high as 219! Measured on two different heart rate monitors - a Polar and Garmin.

Interestingly i do not get out of breath, and it finally comes down to an anaerobic zone between 150 - 170 mostly for the remainder of the exercise.

Within a few minutes after hectic exercising i will be down to around 110 and then about 80 after another 5 to 10 minutes.

I have always felt comfortable pushing my heart rate but is there something i should be looking out for?

Hi Anton

I have a feeling that measurement is an error. I say this because I have seen the exact number myself, and I think it might be, for whatever reason (maybe an engineer can explain it), the number that you get with interference from electrical sources. If it was a tachycardia or some physiological value, then it wouldn't stick at 219, it would be say 220, or 215, then drop off and return to normal. It sounds like it goes to that number and then returns, and that is not typical, and I think not physiological.

So I have a feeling it's technology and not physiology. That said, it's never a bad idea to be safe rather than sorry, so you could consider doing a stress ECG to see whether there is some fibrillation or underlying conditions.