Question
Posted by: Swazi | 2011/09/06

Matured student-not copying

I am married mother of two young kids, 7 and 4 years old. I work full day, studying through unisa as well. I am battling with my time management and forever tired.
Please help, I feel like I’ m drowning. Are there any moms out there who have a family and studying? How do you cope?

I know from previous discussions that there certainly are and have been, among our readers, working moms who also study. Its not easy, but doesn't have to feel impossible. You're married - to what extwent does your husband help, with child care and household chores ? Unisa should also be able to provide some counselling and time management advice through the student health facilities

3
Posted by: Lin | 2011/09/06

I also have a family and study. Although I was supposed to have finished last year, I had to take fewer subjects just to cope. But I''m nearly done. One of hte things I''ve done that really works is to use a voice recorder (even the one on a cellphone will work). I read the textbook out loud while recording. In the mornings and evenings when I bath I play the recording. When I cook, I listen to it, in the car, have even listened to it with earphones on whilst shopping.

Reply to Lin
Posted by: Maria | 2011/09/06

I would be surprised if you weren''t constanly exhausted with all the responsibilities you have. I couldn''t have coped with studying if it had not been for my husband who does double childcare duty.

What are you studying?

Try to make a block of time over a weekend that is mom''s study time and it''s non-negotiable. Hubby and kids can ride bikes, go to the beach, watch dvd''s, anything they like as long as they leave you alone. Don''t be tempted to use that time to catch up on household chores - you can do those surrounded by your family if you have to.

If you don''t have someone who cleans / does laundry etc. then get a helper if you can at all afford it. Or drop your clothes off at a laundry to be washed/ironed.

I study while having breakfast in the morning. I used to do this before my daughter woke up but now that she is old enough to make her own breakfast I do it while we both eat.

Good luck, it''s not easy!

Reply to Maria