Question
Posted by: Adele | 2011/06/28

Matured student

I’ m 34 years old and want to go to university to do my Bcom Accounting. I would like to see someone professional for advise and assessment in terms of my capabilities before embarking on this. Will an educational psychologist be the person to see.

Please advise. Thank you!

That sounds like exactly what an educational psychologist would do well. hey can do tests for your abilities and interests, and match them against job / professional profiles. Sometimes you'd be good at someting, but hate it, or would love to do something but would be awful at it ( like so many of the Idols hopefuls ! )

8
Posted by: Adele | 2011/06/29

Thank you all for your input, I really appreciate it. I''m really ready 4 this and will b studying through Unisa.

Reply to Adele
Posted by: Caro | 2011/06/29

I started studying at the age of 41 and have never looked back. I changed careers after as I got a good job offer at the university I was studying at. I am continuing my research to post-doc. Mature studetns often make better students as we are more focused. Studetn counseling at the university career guidance centre will help you.

Reply to Caro
Posted by: Studying too | 2011/06/28

I''m 43 and I''m finishing my Bcom next year. My employer wants me to do a law degree, because of my line of work and the company will pay for it. I''ve been avoiding this telling them that I''m too old to start that now, but they''re more convinced than I am, that I can do it.

So one never grow old for education.

Reply to Studying too
Posted by: Motlalentwa | 2011/06/28

I am 40 yrs. I also want register for a part-time degree next year with UNISA as I am only having a grade 12 certificate, my employer will pay for my studies. I fear the unknown. Is it possible to complete a degree in record time.

Reply to Motlalentwa
Posted by: Maria | 2011/06/28

Hi Adele

Yes and educational psychologist will be able to assess you in terms of interests and ability, and make a recommendation.

I''m 39, and I''ve been studying towards my BA Psychology since 2003, I will finish it this year! You can finish a part time degree much faster than that, I just did a whole lot of living in between. Or are you lucky enough to study fulltime?

Good luck!

Reply to Maria
Posted by: Liza | 2011/06/28

An educational psychologist would be the perfect person to see. If you don''t know where to find one, you can contact the student counseling department of any university and they will be able to give you a reference.

Good luck with you studies!
Liza

Reply to Liza
Posted by: Post Graduate Student | 2011/06/28

You are never to old to study. Everday is a new learning experience for us.

Reply to Post Graduate Student