Posted by: Ken | 2009-08-04

My lady &  I are looking at buying a new mattress and want one that is good for the back as she suffers from lower back pain. We notice most are sold as a set with the base. What is the purpose of the base and is it really necessary, as we would rather not have a base set?
Can you suggest a good mattress that would be good for her back pain?

Expert ImageChiroDoc

There are several really good mattresses available in the market. The base usually compliments the mattress and offers a better support. The choice however is yours and you could purchase a mattress only - provided you place it on a fairly firm base. The mattress guarentee however may be invalid if you choose this option - check with your dealer.
The Chiropractic Association of SA endorses the Restonic "Marvellous Middle" and Pocket Spring range of mattresses and the Cloud Nine range by Strandfoam.