Question
Posted by: Jenn | 2009-01-12

Maternity leave-arent there more rights?

I went on Maternity leave in Feb 2008. We don' t get any pay over that time but I did claim UIF. How does the UIF work, because my first time I received about 99% of my salary. The second time I received about 30% and the 3rd time only about 10%. I knew it wouldn' t be much, but I was shocked.

We are planning another baby for next year, and this time we are going to try and save up some money for that time when I' m on leave.

I also want to know more about my rights. I know I get 4 months. I know my work doesn' t have to pay me. My 13th bonus check was also less than usual because of my maternity leave which I knew would happen.
Are there any rights regarding check-up visits to the doctor during pregnancy. I was also very very sick the first three months of my pregnancy so much that I lost 7kg in that time. I had to put in normal sickleave but no one told me to, I did it on my own. Is that the way I should have done or is there maybe any other law regarding being very sick and extremely tired?
I sit in front of a PC the whole day.

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

RE: MATERNITY LEAVE

There are no more rights other than you are entitled to 4 months off work at no pay. The only payment you can get is from the UIF.