Question
Posted by: Bubbles | 2009/01/14

Maternity Benefits

I' m going on maternity leave in the beginning of March 2009. Please advise what my rights are. How long (minimum) may I go on Maternity Leave, do I have to get paid for the time off? My doctor visits does it count as time off? Please advise I' ve heard so many stories and would just like one straight answer from a professional.

thank you

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

RE: MATERNIT BENEFITS

You may go on maternity leave for 4 months as this is the actual requirement in terms of the basic conditions of employment act. Your doctor visits count as sick leave.

You do not get paid for time off whilst on maternity leave. You must claim this from the UIF.