Question
Posted by: AD | 2010-07-28

Maternity

I have been was working for one for a company for 7 years, and did not apply for maternity for my first pregnancy as my boss paid my salary, and in march started working at another company. I found out that I am pregnant. And also was told that the company only sent the registration forms to SARS for UIF 2 weeks ago.

How will my benefits work, am I entitled to maternity UIF and how would I get paid, my gross being R7500. Are they entitled to pay my salary if I am not registered yet?

I am reallt stressing right now, please help.

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

RE: MATERNITY

You can claim maternity leave from the UIF. The employer will have to back pay the amounts owing to the UIF.

1
Posted by: Purple | 2010-07-30

It does sound like you would be able to claim from UIF.

As they have registered you now, it will be fine. Even if someone gets registered when they are actually on maternity leave already, so long as they arrears get paid by the company, UIF will still pay out.

I''ve only ever spoken with UIF people on the phone, but they have been extremely helpful and knowledgeable. When my domestic worker went on maternity leave, I had filled in a form wrong, to avoid her having to go back again, they phoned me, told me how to do it correctly, asked me to fax it to them and they sorted things out immediately.

I suggest you phone them or look on their web site to see how it all works (its very complcated). Otherwise, get hold of one of those agencies who will claim for you as it makes life much easier for you. I don''tknow names of any of them.

Reply to Purple